A Time for Dust
Mar’row CR 6
Githyanki Mariner 5
CE Medium Humanoid
Init 4; Senses Darkvision 60’; Perception -1/+1
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 13. [4 Armor, 4 Dex, -1 Trait]
Fort 7, Ref 8, Will -3
Speed 30 ft.
Special Attacks Dirty Strike +1d4
Str 16, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 6
Base Atk 4; Grapple 7
Feats Martial Weapon Proficiency: Falchion, Old Salt, Quick Draw, Skill Knowledge: Appraise, Weapon Finesse
Traits/Flaws Illiterate, Specialized/Vulnerable, Weak Will
Skills Appraise 8, Balance 15, Climb 11, Jump 6, Profession: Sailor 9, Swim 10, Tumble 11, Use Rope 12
Languages Githyanki, Planar Trade, Undercommon
SQ Back to Back +1Racial Psionics, Red Dragon Pact, Sailor Lore, Seamanship +1, Spell Resistance 14
Weapons, Mithril Shirt, Pirate’s Outfit, 50’ Silk Rope, Map Case x2, Belt Pouch x4, Potion of Cure Light Wounds x8
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile…whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum…more elements are encouraged!
1) Mar’row was born into the Royal Githyanki Navy, specifically a small fleet charged with expanding territory in the name of the Queen. The fleet was to return home every few decades, and therefore Mar’row never knew Tu’narath (the Githyanki capital) or the Queen, instead fighting for his family and fleet. On their return voyage, the fleet was attacked by Pirate Hunters, and nearly demolished. Several survivors escaped, but never banded together. Mar’row, knowing only the astral seas, was taken into a passing ship and made crew.
2) Mar’row has no Fortress Name, as he was not born in a settlement. Being from the Royal Navy, he feels ties to his brethren, but none to his Queen. Whatever name he was born with, he has stripped all but the name Mar’row, as that is who he is, not who he should be. If he runs in contact with other Githyanki, he will treat them hospitably until they request aid for the Queen, at which point he will respectfully decline. This causes plenty of enmity between himself and all other Githyanki.
Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
1) Mar’row wants nothing more than to become a fearsome scourge upon the seas, a name whispered in terror. Bigger ships, disembodied heads, and painting the astral sea red, are all directly responsible for this goal.
2) From a player’s viewpoint, I would like to see Mar’row grow from a simple pirate, to the leader of a force that can strip themselves of the title Githyanki, becoming Githmarrow.
Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1) Mar’row’s only true friend (at least for the time being) is his partner in crime, Kitsune. The two have known each other for only a matter of months, but quickly realized that their immediate goals were similar enough to warrant an alliance. Mar’row does not care for some of Kitsune’s petty crimes, while she turns a blind eye to some of his more heinous actions. In the end, she is an invaluable member on the Graybald’s Lament.
2) Vlaakith CLVII, Queen of the Githyanki, is the greatest for Mar’row will have to deal with. She is not currently interested in our loveable pirate, but when he starts nearing higher levels, she will have bounty hunters sent out to collect him, so she can eat his soul in true Githyanki tradition. Any Githyanki who does not include the Queen in their “other people” is a damned fool.
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don’t have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1) Knowing only the ways of the seas, Mar’row is a crude beast of a man, knowing nothing of compassion or virtues. His face is scarred from countless battles and punishments. Mar’row also has several crude mannerisms, such as his murderous impulses and cannibalism. (Explains his low Charisma)